Monday, June 13, 2011

Never Upgrade

This has been my mantra for technology: once you've gotten it working, don't upgrade it.

I break from this strategy from time to time, and I always regret it. Case in point: a month ago, upgrading Android. For some amount of time (days? weeks? months?!), my Android had been politely informing me that there was a system upgrade available for my downloading, and I always politely informed it, no thanks, maybe some other time (thought what I really meant was never).

At some point, the system upgrades got a little pushy and decided it was high time for me to download OS version Gingerbread, so they started to pop up little message boxes every time I turned the screen back on. I could tolerate the boxes for the first few days, but it really started to get to me when I had to close the pop-up message every time I wanted to take a photo.

So I gave in. I downloaded the upgrade. And I regret it every time I use the phone.

First off, the battery life is now non-existent. No new programs appear to be running in the background, but possibly the new crappy icons and "whoosh" effect when the screen turns on and off has a hand in it, especially since the whooshing happens a lot when I have the wi-fi turned on but with the phone itself idle.


Secondly, I had a major problem with my free calling setup, the cause of which is unclear to me. I wanted to initially blame the problem on the upgrade, but I think the problem may actually have been with PBXes. So for any of you still sporting a SipDroid + Google Voice setup on your Android, if you start getting any SipDroid timeouts or 401 authorization errors, two things to try that will hopefully fix your problem:
1) Make sure your SipDroid password matches the password of your PBXes extension. (Not sure how mine became different, but at one point they did.. perhaps by magic!)
2) In PBXes, go to Personal Data, then restart it.

Sigh... shoulda just tried to get rid of the annoying pop-up boxes with the old OS version.