Monday, August 18, 2014

Research Culture Shock

In May I visited Auburn for a walk on the wild side, or rather, on the "soul" side... the one where you pronounce the word soil as soul.



I was a visiting speaker for an erosion control workshop, where I talked about my rain garden monitoring and modeling research project. In return, I got to bear witness to an interesting niche research area I didn't really realize existed and learn about erosion control practices used in construction projects, which is incredibly relevant to my research area.

Not surprisingly, they are all pretty easy to install in ways that cause them to not work at all.

The highlight of the Auburn campus was Samford Hall, which I'm sure goes onto all their admissions material and postcards, and the highlight of my talk was when I ended it with "Go Dawgs" and didn't get booed off stage. (Little did I know that the tragic story of War Eagle took place during an Auburn-Georgia game... oops!)