Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Gettin' Crafty

About two years ago, one of my brothers decided to do a clothing purge and set out on the monumental task of going through every single t-shirt he had ever acquired since elementary school. He ended up with a mountain of shirts from every type of event, club, and fundraiser known to man! Running races, schools, youth groups, family reunions, sports teams... everyone had a unique t-shirt design for their people/place/thing. How did we develop such an obsession with special matching shirts?? I digress...

His plan was to tote Shirt Mountain to Goodwill, but when I happened by and noted the amazing colors in some of the shirts, I got an idea.

a wonderful, awful idea
Some time back, I had seen this article on the internet about making a braided rag rug, and I already had a few old t-shirts hanging around. So I took on some of the more vibrant members of Shirt Mountain and schlepped them back to Athens with me, where I began to undertake Operation Floor Decor.

It took a year and a half, but I finally turned the bulk of those several dozen t-shirts into 3 rugs: 2 braided ones and a woven one (inspiration from here). They took many, many hours (so many hours!), but I couldn't be more pleased with the results.