Friday, March 29, 2019

Skiing in the East

Back in January there was some significant snowfall and cold weather, so I went with a few friends on a little weekend trip to Vejprty, Czech Republic to do some skiing. Summary: the skiing part was a disaster, but the weather on the first day was utter perfection.
We went to the Klinovec ski slopes, which apparently don't really have a lot of bunny slopes, and the ones they do have require some interaction with steep intermediate slopes. Needless to say, this situation didn't go well for me, having been off the ski slopes for 10 years and not really being a great skier back then anyways.
There was another nearby ski area called Bozi Dar that appeared to be a little flatter and more cross-country-oriented. I think that would be more my cup of tea in any follow-up trips.
Vejprty is full of abandoned and for-sale buildings that inspire the imagination and make an American Millennial fantasize about buying / fixing one up. Our hostel owner did just that (minus the fixing part..); a young woman who bought out her family's old, run-down hotel and runs it as a backpacker hostel, and manages it on the side along with her wolf tracking volunteer work. Reminiscent of The Shining? Absolutely. Cheap and warm? Sure. (Very important, as this was probably the coldest temperatures I've ever experienced in my life. Something like 5 or 8 degrees Fahrenheit in the late evenings.)
I sat out the second day of skiing after my first disastrous day, which worked out fine with the weather, which was rather white-out conditions on day two.