Thursday, November 4, 2010

A Little Taste of Home

Prepare yourself for a shocking and controversial statement: Nutella is not a suitable substitute for peanut butter.

I know, I know, you might say, "Just because it's made with a different nut doesn't make it inferior. You're just a dirty anti-hazelnut American!" .. and any part of that may well be true. However, I'm not a Peanut-Supremacist; far from it, in fact. I openly embrace nut butters of all types, particularly of the almond-variety, and quite frankly, I didn't even think peanuts were all that great in the first place. But that doesn't change the fact that an entire jar of Nutella contains less protein than a single Snickers bar.

One need only take a look at the nutrition facts on a jar of Nutella to see that it is far from a real nut butter. The first ingredient is.. sugar. Followed by plant oil, cocoa, and finally hazelnuts. Don't get me wrong; I'm not being anti-Nutella here. On the contrary, I think this ingredient list qualifies it as a fabulous breakfast topping for toast. (Keep in mind that this is coming from a girl whose breakfast of choice is, unapologetically, an Eggo topped with chocolate chips.)

Needless to say, the lack of good nut butters in Zurich is somewhat of a death-blow to vegetarians. Sure, they have Barney's Best, which is apparently like the German version of Skippy, but I was hoping for something a little more fresh-ground and a little less sugar and oil-filled. So yeseterday, stuck at home sick, I decided to make some peanut butter from scratch. Turns out this process isn't so hard, especially if you have modern conveniences like nut crackers and food processors. Sadly, I possess neither, but it's still a pretty easy process.


So I went through the grueling process of shelling my pre-roasted peanuts until I could shell no more, which was disappointingly short. Then I used a crappy hand-blender (that only works during the half of the time it's not sparking) to grind and mix them, to delicious though poorly-photographing results. (Seriously, the pictures of it on my phone just kinda look like throw-up, so I'm not gonna post them.) With a spoonful of honey mixed in, this peanut butter might just be my food of choice for the next few days straight.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

... and I assume that Welch's grape jelly is out of the question in Zurich?