Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Fitting In And Standing Out

There are a lot of things you have to get used to when you first show up in Switzerland. First, expect to hear a variety of languages spoken around you. Second, realize that most of these languages you thought you were hearing are just heavily-accented German or English. Third, don't be too shocked when the trains and buses arrive on time. Fourth, be prepared to see a lot of cows within the city limits, each with its own little bell around its neck. Fifth, avoid eating out too much because you'll be very disappointed with the quality of food for the price you paid.

I'm adjusting to Swiss life fairly easily in many ways. I have a monthly train pass and a Swiss bank account (current balance: zero Swiss Francs), and I've bought more bread and cheese in the past 3 weeks than I had in 6 months in the States. Unlike some other trips I've taken, I definitely look like I could be a native Swiss person, in both appearance and dress.

Unfortunately, this false impression often initially leads people to speak Swiss German to me, which immediately gives me away. Not being able to speak the language here is a big hindrance for me, and while I can get by with English in most places, it would be nice to go to the supermarket and not be scared that the cashier will stray from the typical checkout discussion pattern. If you don't want me to understand spoken German, you need only speak at a normal-to-fast speed or toss in some big words.

With that said, I can read and understand simple German fairly well, and I get to work on my reading skills with the 2 free daily papers that get distributed on the trains. Despite all the practice, I've still managed a humorous screw-up: instead of using dish soap to wash my first set of dishes (by hand, of course), I accidentally used polish. Oh yeah, and they weren't my dishes, they were Simon's dishes.



It actually says that it's for the "care and cleaning of dishes," so can you really blame me? Other than the fact that it was clearly manufactured in, say, the 1970s. I'm just hoping the chemicals in it didn't become toxic after breaking down thirty years later...

Of course, some things are just easy to understand, especially when accompanied by visual clues such as the "Anarchy A" symbol. ("Against the Fuzz and Prisons") Thank heavens these little sprayers used High German for their graffiti.

No comments: