Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Further Nature-inspired Art and Amusements

One post wasn't enough for the entertaining signs and amusements I've seen around Louisiana and Alabama. So without further ado, here are some of the more "nature-inspired" things I saw around.
Barnacle-covered driftwood on Dauphin Island, Alabama

Magnolia flower from outside my apartment

Cypress knees from our lab aquarium covered with dried (probable) cyanobacteria

African iris (Dietes) planted around Baton Rouge

Water hyacinth covering the swamp at Buffalo Cove

Chanterelle mushroom found near the office and its light spore print

American beautyberry, one of my favorites

Small snake in the middle of the log.. hard to tell from the pic, but I think it was a water snake (Nerodia)

Roseate spoonbill feather that probably belonged to the bird that I saw fly off as we approached in the boat

Giant crawdad statue at the LSU Hatchery

Pumpkin butt scarecrow

Ducks at the LSU lakes (mallards + muscovy)

The total (partial) eclipse, viewed on a sheet of paper through my binoculars